Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

John Langworth

Male Aft 1660 - 1665  (< 4 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name John Langworth 
    Born Aft 4 Sep 1660  St. Mary's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died Aug 1665  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I003252  Tree1
    Last Modified 27 Feb 2021 

    Father James Langworth,   b. 18 Feb 1628/29, Kent, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Between 18 Aug 1660 and 5 Jun 1662, St. John's, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 31 years) 
    Mother Agatha Johnson,   b. Abt 1634, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Aug 1665, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 31 years) 
    Married Abt 1650  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F02534  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • from Jerry Clarkeand Arch of MD: XLIX.481
      Son of Agatha Langworth was killed by Maguamps alias Bennett an Indian of Mattawoman at the house of said Agatha (spinster) of St. John's in Charles Co, 1665

      Agatha Langworth aged 50 (this should read 30) yeares or thereabouts sworne on the 27th day of Septembr 1665 sayth, This Depont Lay sick on her Table on the 17th day of August last, & better by an hower & a half e of

      === Contributed by Ralph D. Smith

      James Langworth m. Agatha Johnson. Sources: (1) Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol. 1, pp. 17 (Johnson) and 17-18 (Langworth), (2) Maryland Land Office, Patent Records, Liber Q, p. 19, and Liber 4, p. 530, and (3) Archives of Maryland, Vol. 41, pp. 564-5. James d. testate (but will not probated and no estate records for him) in Charles Co., Md. between Feb. 12, 1660/1 and June 5, 1662. Sources: (1) Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol. 1, pp. 17-18, (2) Charles Co., Md. Court Records, Liber A, p. 123, and (3) Archives of Maryland, Vol. 41, pp. 559-561 and 563-565. James and Agatha had 4 children: William, John, Mary and Elizabeth Langworth. Source: Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol. 1, pp. 17-18. In Aug. 1665 Agatha and her children were attacked by Indians in Charles Co. Agatha survived the attack, but son John Langworth and another of Agatha’s children, presumably either dau. Mary Langworth or dau. Elizabeth Langworth, were killed. Source: Archives of Maryland, Vol. 2, pp. 1!
      5-16, and Vol. 49, pp. 481-484. Agatha was still living on Sep. 27, 1665 but appears to have left Charles Co. by Mar. 10, 1667/8, and no later record has been found for her or her daughters. Sources: Archives of Maryland, Vol. 49, p. 482, and Vol. 60, pp. 117 and 126. Son William Langworth is not mentioned in the Indian attack and he either survived or was not living at home at the time.

      Apr. 13, 1665 - "St. John's Landing," containing 300 acres in St. Mary's Co., Md., patented to Luke Gardner. Location: West St. Mary's Manor. St. Mary's County on the west side of St. Clement's Bay beginning at a bound gum of the land of Thomas Dignard [sic.] Also adjoins the land of John, orphan of James Longworth [sic.]
      Source: Hall, Robert W., "Early Landowners of Maryland, Volume 5: St. Mary's County, 1633-1710," p. 93.
      === Research notes from Carol keith
      http://nsdac.org/work-of-the-society/historical/markers/patentees-monument/

      25 APRIL 1936 PATENTEES MONUMENT

      WASHINGTON, D.C.

      April 25, 1936 was a red-letter day in the history of the National Society, Daughters of the American Colonists, when the Fifteenth Anniversary of its organization in was fittingly celebrated by the dedication of a memorial to the original patentees of the site of present Federal City.

      The monument is beautiful in its simplicity; it stands seven feet high, and is of a very fine grade of Indiana limestone. It is situated East of and adjoining The Ellipse, and South of the Treasury Department, and has been presented to the Government, through the National Park Service. The following inscription is carved on the front of the three-foot base, with the Society’s insignia in the lower right hand corner:

      TO THE ORIGINAL PATENTEES
      PRIOR TO 1700 WHOSE LAND
      GRANTS EMBRACE THE SITE OF
      THE FEDERAL CITY. THIS MONU
      MENT IS ERECTED BY THE
      NATIONAL SOCIETY OF The
      DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN
      COLONISTS, APRIL 25. 1936.

      The names of the eighteen patentees are carved on the other three sides of the base, six on each side. (Note: The tract names are omitted on the monument for lack of space):

      Robert Troope, 1663,
      George Thompson, 1663
      Francis Pope, 1663
      John Langworth, 1664
      John Lewger, prior to 1664
      Richard & William Pinner
      Zachariah Wade, 1670
      Richard Evans, 1685
      Col. Henry Jowles, 1685
      Andrew Clarke, 1685
      John Peerce (Pierce, Pearce), 1685
      Walter Houp, “Houp Yard”, 1686
      Walter Thompson, 1686
      Col. Ninian Beall, 1687
      John Watson, 1687
      William Hutchison, 1687
      Walter Evans, 1698
      William Atcheson, 1698

Research Links  Find John Langworth at the following sites -

Ancestry records for John Langworth