Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

Richard Caton

Male 1763 - 1845  (82 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Richard Caton 
    Born 1763  England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1845  Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I008004  Tree1
    Last Modified 27 Feb 2021 

    Family Mary Carroll,   b. 2 Sep 1770, Anne Arundel County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1846, Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years) 
    Married 25 Nov 1787  Anne Arundel County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 27 Feb 2021 
    Family ID F05238  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 


    • CATONSVILLE PIONEERS OF THE LUTHERAN FAITH.
      By George C. Keidel, Ph.D., Library of Congress.
      Catonsville is the name most widely applied to the southwestern corner of Baltimore County, Maryland, although there are no precise limits to its territory. It was settled in Colonial times chiefly by Englishspeaking people, but shortly after the year 1830 there was a considerable influx of German emigrants to the neighborhood. One of the earliest of these was Mr. Johann Kolb (Apr. 15, 1814- Dec. 16, 1897), who removed about the year 1835 to the section of Catonsville now known as Harlem Lane when the whole region was a mere wilderness. When the first German settlers arrived the locality was doubtless already known as Catonsville, so named after Richard Caton (1763-1845) and his wife Mary (familiarly known as "Polly") Carroll (1770-1846), daughter of the celebrated Signer Charles Carroll of Carrollton (17371832), who were married at Annapolis on Nov. 25, 1787" and who apparently shortly afterward took up their residence in the mansion known as Castle Thunder. The village of Catonsville seems then to have slowly grown up around their home, which thus served as its nucleus. On Sept. 30, 1849, there was organized a Lutheran congregation from members of the German colony widely scattered in Baltimore, Howard and Anne Arundel Counties near the point of their junction. A site for a church was soon after selected on Ingleside Avenue about a mile north of the famous old Caton residence, and a burying-ground begun by the side of the new stone edifice in the Gothic style completed the next year.-

Research Links  Find Richard Caton at the following sites -

Ancestry records for Richard Caton