Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

John Wilcoxon

Male 1732 - 1799  (67 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name John Wilcoxon 
    Born 30 Aug 1732  King George's Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 30 Sep 1799  Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I009646  Tree1
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2020 

    Father Thomas Wilcoxon,   b. 9 Mar 1695/96, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 May 1777, Prince George's County, Maryland - Inventory Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 81 years) 
    Mother Ruth MNU Wilcoxon,   b. 3 Sep 1703, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1755, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 51 years) 
    Married 1721  King George's Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • this marriage is not proved
    Family ID F05096  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Millicent Clagett,   b. Abt 1736, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Jan 1796, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 60 years) 
    Married Abt 1752  Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Cassandra Wilcoxon,   b. 1768, King George's Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Nov 1841, Greenup County, Kentucky - Probate Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years)
     2. John Wilcoxon,   b. 1771, Rock Creek Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Dec 1834, West Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 63 years)
     3. Mary Wilcoxon,   b. 24 May 1772, Rock Creek Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Oct 1820, Bourbon County, Kentucky Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 48 years)
     4. Anne Claggett Wilcoxon,   b. Abt 1773, Rock Creek Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location
     5. Eleanor Wilcoxon,   b. 1775, Rock Creek Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location
     6. Millicent Ruth Wilcoxon,   b. 1778, Prince George's Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location
     7. Virlinder Wilcoxon,   b. 1780, Prince George's Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 7 Jul 1798, Prince George's Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 18 years)
     8. Josias Wilcoxon,   b. 1786, Prince George's Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Jul 1798, Prince George's Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 12 years)
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2020 
    Family ID F06283  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • According to "The Willett Family of Maryland" by Sister Mary Louise Donnell, John was from Montgomery County, Maryland.

      John Took the "Oath of Fidelity and Support" for the United States and the State of Maryland on March 2, 1778 in Montgomery County, Maryland. Source is "Revolutionary Records of Maryland" by Brumbaugh & Hodges, pg 7.

      John WILCOXSON was born 30 AUG 1732 in Pr. Georges County, MD, and died 30 SEP 1799 in Pr. Georges County, MD. He was the son of 2. Thomas WILCOXSON , Sr. and 3. Ruth LETTON. He married Millicent CLAGGETT ABT 1767.

      Children of John WILCOXSON and Millicent CLAGGETT are:
      i. Cassandra WILCOXSON was born 1768 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died in Greenup County, Kentucky. She married John Haymond Nicholls.

      ii. John WILCOXSON was born 1771 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 19 DEC 1834 in West Portsmouth, Scioto County, OH. He married Ruth WILCOXSON, daughter of Jesse WILCOXSON and Elizabeth CLAGGETT. She was born 21 JAN 1771 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 21 AUG 1828 in West Portsmouth, Scioto County, OH.

      iii. Mary Eleanor (Wilcoxen) WILCOXSON was born 24 MAY 1772 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 18 OCT 1820 in Bourbon County, Kentucky. She married Caleb LETTON III 30 NOV 1790 in Montgomery County, Maryland, son of Michael Montgomery LETTON , Senator and Mary WILLETT. He was born 5 DEC 1768 in Rockville, "Autra" Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 7 JUL 1850 in Brentsville, Bourbon County, Kentucky.

      iv. Anna Claggett "Nancy" (Wilcoxen) WILCOXSON was born ABT 1773 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She married John (Litton) LETTON. She married John "Jackie" LETTON , Dr. BEF 1792, son of Michael Montgomery LETTON , Senator and Mary WILLETT. He was born 12 NOV 1770 in Rockville, "Autra" Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 3 JUN 1861 in Flatwoods, Kentucky.

      v. Eleanor WILCOXSON was born 1775 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She married Erasmus RIGGS 31 JAN 1797 in Rock Creek Parish, Montgomery County, Maryland.

      vi. Millicent Ruth WILCOXSON was born 1778 in Montgomery County, Maryland.

      vii. Verlinda WILCOXSON was born 1780 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She married James HIGGINS 3 AUG 1797 in Pr. Georges County, MD.

      viii. Josias WILCOXSON was born 1786 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 8 JUL 1798 in Montgomery County, Maryland.

      ix. Lewis WILCOXSON was born 5 MAY 1787 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 4 JAN 1846 in Howard County, MO. He married Luvaner SWEARINGEN 4 NOV 1805 in Bullitt County, Kentucky.

      x. Caleb WILCOXSON was born 1791 in Montgomery County, Maryland, and died 1849 in Scioto County, OH. He married Mary SELTON.

      ===
      LOVELACE, JOHN BAPTIST, Frederick Co. 13 Jul, 1765; 16 Aug, 1765
      Wife: Eleanor.
      Children: William, Elias, Luke, Charles, Isaac, Vachel, Milliscent and Archibald.
      Tracts: "Hermitage", as far as John Lochlan's Spring Branch, "Job's Comfort" in Charles Co.
      Extx: Eleanor Lovelace. (the account records shows she remarried to a Robey}
      Wit: Charles Harding, John and Jesse Wilcoxon. 33.322
      ===
      Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records 1769-1772; Liber AA 2 {Abstract by Mike Marshall}; Page 420. At the request of Levin Wilcoxon the following Deed of Gift was recorded November 26, 1771
      I John Willcoxon planter of Frederick County, Maryland in consideration of 5 shillings as the natural love and affection I have and bear unto my brother Levin Wilcoxon of PGCo and also diverse other good causes and considerations to me this present moving have given part of two tracts one called "Coxon's Chance" and the other "The Addition" and containing 100 acres. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 22nd day of November 1771, John Wilcoxon in the presence of and acknowledged before Joshua Beall, Christopher Lowndes and at the same time Millicent Wilcoxon wife of John Wilcoxon relinquished her right of dower
      ===
      Montgomery County Land Records, 1777-1781; Liber A1, Page 327. Land Commission and Depositions, recorded by order of the Justices of M Court, and at the request of John Wilcoxon. To Messrs Andrew Heugh, Aaron Lanham, Edward Wheeler, and Moses Orme, Gentlemen, Greeting. Whereas John Wilcoxon, by his petition to our Justices of M, has set forth that he is seized of a certain tract of land in M called Prevention, the bounds whereof are in an uncertain and doubtful state, and praying that Commission might issue to perpetuate the same, which petition is granted. It being suggested that you are substantial and capable freeholders within M, we appoint you to examine and certify the witnesses concerning the premises, to issue summons to all such witnesses as shall be to you nominated by sd petitioner or other persons concerned, concerning the bounds of the afd land, provided that you be not any way related to any of the parties, nor interested in the land, and that you affix public notes at the Parish Church where the sd land lies. 3 Sundays at the least, before your meeting. Signed Nov 14, 1778 - Brooke Beall, Clk. Wit - Charles Jones, Gentlemen, Chief Justice of our sd Court.
      We had 4 copies of the notice about the Commission's meeting proposed on the land on Jan 11, 1779, (the notice being dated Dec I, 1778), set up, viz, one at Leonard Davis' where the Court for M is held, one at Rock Creek Church, one at James Suters Tavern, and one at New Port Mill. Signed - Andrew Heugh, Aaron Lanham, Edward Wheeler, Moses Orme.
      On Monday, Jan 11, 1779, the afd Commissioners met at the place where the beginning tree of Josephs Park formerly stood, and where a stone is now fixed on the east side of Rock Creek Branch near the Branch above New Port Mill dam, the sd stone being marked thus, IPARK. And Peter Becraft, age about 38, deposes that about 23 years ago, he went to Thomas Clelands Mill (now New Port Mill) and when there, Mr. Cleland was standing in the Mill yard with his gun in his hand, and asked him, this deponent, if his dog would go into the water, to which he replied he would, the Deponent and Mr. Cleland then went together, where he had shot a duck a duck in the dam and could not get it out, when they had gotten to the place which was about 15-20 feet below the stone boundary afore described, and where there was a parcel of trees lying across the Dam, and the duck lay in the water along the side of the trees. Mr. Cleland and the Deponent made several attempts to make the dog bring out the duck. but to no purpose. Mr. Cleland then walked as if he was returning to the Mill, but evidently came back and asked the Deponent if he did not see that tree, the other side of the Dam, with a stone against it, when the Deponent replied he did. Mr. Cleland then desired him to take notice of what he was going to say to him, for perhaps it might be of service when he was dead and gone. That tree, which stood where the stone boundary stands now, is the principal boundary of 4 valuable tracts of land. It is the beginning of Josephs Park. It is a tree of Hermitage or serves for the beginning of Hermitage, and he believes it was the 2nd tree of Dann, and that it was the beginning tree of a tract of land taken up by Capt. James Edmonstone. He also said that Capt. Edmonstone was thought to hold all that good land between his houses and the Cr, but he was mistaken, for he had laid his land in 11 surveys or tracts, and that he could hold none that side of the Cr, but that his land was where old John Allison lives, and where Richards the tailor lives, and some of the land lies by the Bridge as you cross Rock Creek Bridge in going to Chapel since the above when Philip Clubb Sr had a resurvey on Clubbs Delight, the Deponent's father and Benjamin Harris Sr joined the afd Clubb in the Resurvey, they got Benjamin Belt, now decd, to survey the land round the supposed vacancy. One morning, Benjamin Harris and Benjamin Belt came to this Deponent's father's to the Cr near the Mill, and up the Cr until they came to the stone boundary before described. Mr. Belt went foremost some yards and stuck up his staff by the side of the sd boundary and said, this is the beginning of Prevention, put his compass on the staff, and set it, to the best of the Deponent's remembrance, to run a course towards the north. Mr. Harris and the Deponent's father came up when Mr. Harris had a great deal to say about his being with Capt. James Edmonstone and William Beall when the land was run, and that they began at this boundary. Signed - Peter Becraft.
      Capt. Elias Harding, aged about 50, and Capt. Samuel Swearingen, age about 37, being at the stone boundary afd, deposed that on last Oct 31, John Lacklin showed them, these deponents, the sd stone boundary, and said that about 23-24 years ago, Thomas Cleland showed him that place or near it where there then stood a tree, and told him that was the beginning tree of a tract of land called Prevention, and Thomas Cleland told him, John Lacklin, that Capt. James Edmonstone showed it to him, Cleland, for the beginning of Prevention. Signed - Elias Harding, Samuel Swearingen.
      Van Swearingen, aged about 32, being at the stone boundary afd, deposes that in a conversation which he had with the late William Davis Sr, decd, about John Richards' land, he, this deponent, told Mr. Davis that he thought the beginning of that land was somewhere about Richards' place when Mr. Davis told him, this deponent, it was not, that Thomas Cleland told him that the beginning of the land which the Bealls & Edmonstone held, was in the head of Clelands Mill dam, and this conversation passed between the Deponent & Mr, Davis about 13 years ago. Signed - Van Swearingen.
      The Commissioners adjourn until the 1st Monday in Mar next, when they propose to meet at the stone boundary at the head of New Port Mill Dam on Monday, Mar 1, 1779. Aaron Lanham and Moses Orme met and adjourned to the 1st Saturday in Aug next,
      On Saturday, Aug 7, 1779, the Commissioners met at the stone boundary at the head of New Port Mill Dam where Lawrence ONeall, aged about 40 years, deposes that what he knows about the beginning of Prevention, is that about the year 1771, he believes in the Spring, John Lackland and the Deponent, called on James Beall, son of James, formerly one of the proprietors of the land named Prevention, in order to get him to run some courses of Prevention for this deponent, James Beall of James, being at that time Deputy Surveyor of Frederick County under John Hanson. James Beall met at first at a place said to be the beginning of a tract of land called the Addition to Dann, and after disputing some time at that place, he, the sd James Beall, brought Mr. Lackland and the Deponent to the place or near the place where the stone boundary now is, at the head of New Port Mill dam, for the beginning of Prevention, and from thence ran the lines of Prevention as far as concerned the Deponent in making a Resurvey on part of a tract of land called the Token of Love, which Resurvey James Beall made and called for the courses of Prevention, according to how we ran them from this place, that is to say, from the stone boundary at the head of New Port Mill dam, which will further appear by the Deponent's Certificate, returned into the Land Office, dated about Jul 29, 1771, by the name of the Addition to the Token of Love. Signed - Lawrence ONeale.
      Charles Clagett, aged about 55 years, at the stone boundary standing at the head of New Port Mill Dam, deposes that some years ago, Mrs. Brooke had a Commission to prove the boundaries of a tract of land named Dann, that then at this place, he heard the late Colo Samuel Beall say that it was the beginning of 3 tracts of land. Particularly, he thinks it was the beginning of a tract named Prevention, and the 2nd tree of Dann. Signed - Charles Clagett.
      The beginning and boundaries of Prevention being proved to the satisfaction of the Petitioner, he has no more witnesses to offer, and we hereby close our proceedings on this Commission. Signed Aug 7, 1779 - Andrew Heugh, Edward Wheeler, Moses Orme, Aaron Lanham. Recorded Aug 14, 1779.
      ===
      1773-1778 Frederick County Land Records; {Patricia Abelard Andersen}
      V:686-689. John Wilcoxon recorded deed 27 July 1775, from Benjamin Harris for 125, part of the Hermitage, adjacent to south line of Winexburgh, to parcel laid out for Henry Watson, now in the possession of Benedict Calvert, then to lands of James Sayer, now in possession of Thomas Cramphin, then to Benjamin Perry's land. 116 acres. Sarah Harris released dower rights.
      ===
      1773-1778 Frederick County Land Records; {Patricia Abelard Andersen}
      W:94-99. Thomas Cramphin recorded commission and depositions 26 August 1774 to David Lynn, Zadok Magruder, Thomas Owen Williams and William Robertson, on part of tract Hermitage. Benjamin Harris, 60 or thereabouts, deposed at a white oak near Watry Branch which falls into Rock Creek, touching his knowledge regarding bounds of tract sold by Thomas Butler and Jeremiah Stympson, part of Hermitage, states that 30 or 40 years ago he went with Jeremiah Stympson to said tree and was told it was the beginning of his land. At a bound hickory in Mrs. Elizabeth Perry's plantation, about 100 yards from the branch, tract sold by Thomas Butler to Benjamin Perry, 33 years before in company with Thos Butler, Benj. Perry and James Edmonston (the surveyor), and said hickory was the beginning of Perry's land. Regarding bounds of parcel sold to William Davis, 30 to 40 years ago, he was in company with Butler, Edmonston and said Davis, and sapling was beginning tree. William Condon, aged 56 years deposed regarding bound tree of William Davis' tract, and identified hickory as the NE corner of part of tract sold to his father, Richard Condon. John Wilcoxon, aged 40 years, attested to the bound of tract sold to Benjamin Perry and also the NE corner of Condon's land. Alexander Clagett, 30 years old, deposed regarding a resurvey on Perry's land 6 years before.

Research Links  Find John Wilcoxon at the following sites -

Ancestry records for John Wilcoxon