Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

Hugh Thomas

Male 1638 - 1688  (50 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Hugh Thomas 
    Born 1638  Llanmadoc, Glamorgan, Wales Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1688  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I12308  Tree1
    Last Modified 27 Sep 2022 

    Father Family Thomas, MD 
    Relationship natural 
    Family ID F2347  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Anne Samuel,   b. Abt 1645,   d. Aft 1691, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 47 years) 
    Married Abt 1662  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Hugh Thomas,   b. Abt 1663, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aug 1718, Westmoreland County, Virginia - probate Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 55 years)  [natural]
     2. John Thomas,   b. Abt 1664, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 29 Jan 1714, Charles County, Maryland - inventory Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 50 years)  [natural]
     3. James Thomas,   b. Abt 1666, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 May 1743, Cople Parish, Westmoreland County, Virginia - probate Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 77 years)  [natural]
     4. Joseph Thomas,   b. Abt 1670, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Feb 1740, Charles County, Maryland - inventory Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 70 years)  [natural]
     5. Richard Thomas,   b. Abt 1670,   d. 15 Mar 1714, Charles County, Maryland - inventory Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 44 years)  [natural]
     6. Margery Thomas,   b. Abt 1672, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1755, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 84 years)  [natural]
     7. Elizabeth Thomas,   b. Abt 1673, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1735, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 63 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 27 Sep 2022 
    Family ID F1680  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • ===
      Name: Samuel L. Thomas Jr.
      Email: samuellthomasjr@gmail.com
      Note:
      JOHN THOMAS, son of HUGH THOMAS [original immigrant] remained in Charles County, Maryland and inherited the family plantation. He had children, named is his will as JOHN, JAMES, LEONARD, WILLIAM, ELIZABETH & JANE. JOHN THOMAS JR. has a son named JOSEPH, who in turn has son DAVID, JOSEPH, JACOB, JOHN, LEONARD & GEORGE. This JOHN THOMAS JR. line was in Loudoun County, Virginia and moved down into BEDFORD County, Virginia ... where I live today.
      ===
      William Fletcher Boogher, Gleanings of VA History (Washington, District of Columbia : 1903) pp283-288: Historical and Genealogical Notes of Hugh Thomas, of Westmoreland County, Virginia [35:36-50]

      Immigrated to the province of Maryland in the spring of 1661, as will appear from a demand made on the Lord Proprietor for lands by Robert Slye, 18 June 1661, for transporting the said Hugh Thomas. Liber 4, folio 555, Land office of Maryland.
      April 19, 1666, Hugh Thomas, Sr., had assigned and patented to him 600 acres of land, called Rich Hill, on the west side of the Wicomico river, in Charles County, Maryland. See rent roll for said county, liber 1, folio 27, Land Office, Md; and on June 20, 1675, a patent for 83 acres, called Thomas's Addition to Rich Hill; April 14, 1681, 100 acres called Fortune.
      In Nov, 1681, Hugh Thomas was a member of the grand jury for Charles County, liber 1-8, folio 174.
      About 1662-3 he married Anne --- in Charles County; issue, three sons of whom we have record; Hugh, born about 1663; John born 1664-5; and James about 1666.
      On Nov 13, 1684, Hugh Thomas, Sr, sold his Rich Hill plantation to John Harrison, Gentleman, of Charles County, consideration, 13,000 lbs of Merchantable tobacco, his wife Anne joining in this deed, liber 1, No 1, folio, 53, Charles County record. At this date his son John is possessed by deed of gift from his father of the 100 acres called Fortune; See Rent roll No 2, folio 328 for said county.
      Hugh Thomas died in 1688 in Charles county.
      ===
      [Genealogy.com, LLC. Family Archive #354, Ed. 4, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index]
      Individual: Hugh Thomas
      Place: Roxbury, MA
      Year: 1651

      Individual: Hugh Thomas
      Place: Virginia
      Year: 1658

      Individual: Hugh Thomas
      Place: Maryland
      Year: 1680

      SKORDAS, GUST, editor. The Early Settlers of Maryland: an Index to Names of Immigrants, Compiled from Records of Land Patents, 1633-1680, in the Hall of Records, Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing County, 1968. 525p. Repr. 1986
      Individual: Hugh Thomas
      Place: Maryland
      Year: 1661

      Index from manuscript by Arthur Trader, Chief Clerk in the Maryland Land Commission, 1917. And see nos. 4507-4511, Land Notes. Source Page #: 458
      ===
      NUGENT, NELL MARION. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants. Vol. 2: 1666-1695. Indexed by Claudia B. Grundman. Richmond, Virginia: Virginia State Library, 1977. 609p.

      Date and place where land was patented and record was created listing those transported/imported. Only the names of those to be transported were indexed. Abstracted from Patent books 6 through 8, from the Land Office records located at the Virginia State Library. Volumes 1 and 3 were indexed as nos. 6220 and 6223 respectively in PILI 1984. Source Page #: 107
      Primary Individual: Thomas, Hugh
      Place: Virginia
      Year: 1672
      ===
      James Hughes 2005-10-01 20:27:35
      hhlandva1.html
      Source: CAVALIERS AND PIONEERS
      Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants
      VOLUME THREE: 1695-1732
      Abstracted by Nell Marion Nugent

      MR. CHRISTOPHER HARRIS, 2000 acs. Westmoreland County, 7 Oct. 1658, Page 210,
      (306). On the S. side of Potomeck on S. W. side of Yosockcocomocoe Cr.
      Trans. of 40 pers: Jno. Snellinge, Nath. Pinion, Georg Covell, James
      Mahue, Wm. West, Edward Bromfeild, John Abbott, Jane Dawson, Theo
      Clemente, Nath. Crosby, Wm. Symson, Anne Delue, Mary James, Hugh Thomas,
      Ja. Hollirosse (?), Wm. Feild, John Mutton, Robert Hollaway, Wm. Newcome,
      Joseph Fairepointe, James Male, Jno. Williams, Jno. Cranfeild, Roger Sloe,
      Wm. Nicholls, Henry Coniers, Edmond Lucas, Jno. Trevett, Charles Davison,
      Georg Harper, Mathew Batts, Sarah Mashy, Margarett Munday, Symon Hall,
      John Markhamm, Nath. Ruferd. (Note: In this list appears the following:
      "Assigned by Mr. Jno. Snellinge.")
      ===
      Jury Duty: November 1681, Charles County, Maryland Grand Jury liber 1-8 folio 174
      Land Patent: November 1681, 100 acres called Fortune

      ===
      http://www.marylandhistoricaltrust dot net/nr/NRDetail.asp?HDID=348&FROM=NRMap CH.html

      Property name: Rich Hill
      Alternate name(s): Rich Hill Farm
      Date Listed: 11/12/1975
      Inventory No.: CH-177
      Location: Bel Alton Newtown Road, Bel Alton, Charles County

      Description: Rich Hill is a two-story, gable-roofed frame building built probably in the in the early to mid 18th century but with alterations dating to c. 1800, c.1825, the late 19th century. The house has a double chimney on one end and a one-story frame wing with central chimney on the other. The main house possesses many architectural features that are significant to the study and interpretation of the vernacular architecture of the Southern Maryland region. The principal facade of Rich Hill faces southeast and is four bays wide at the first floor level. The entrance occupies the first bay in from the east corner. The three remaining first floor bays are occupied by windows, as are the five bays across the second story. On both stories the window and door surrounds are of a type popular in this region during the first several decades of the 19th century, although the windows themselves have late-19th century 2/2 sash. Fronting the southeast facade is a one-story, shed-roofed farm porch that was probably added to the house in the late 19th or early 20th century. At the southwest end of the main block is a large double chimney with a two-story, windowed pent. The chimney weatherings are stepped on three sides at the attic gable level and the two stacks are free-standing. Four windows were introduced on this elevation in about the third quarter of the 19th century, one on each side of the chimney at both floor levels. On the first floor level of the rear elevation the house is three bays wide with doors occupying the center bay and the first bay in from the north corner. The latter door occupies an area of a former window opening. Across the second floor level are three windows. With the exception of the first floor end door, the moldings framing these openings are stylistically of an earlier date than the other windows and doors, and probably date from about c. 1800. The gable roof of Rich Hill is presently covered with corrugated tin. The roof framing, however, is an early-19th century replacement of the original. The original roof, also gabled but much more steeply pitched, was first covered with riven clapboards. This initial sheathing was followed by subsequent coverings of round and butt-end shingles. The exterior walls of the house are sheathed with beaded random-width clapboards. The date of their application is probably contemporary with the c.1825 renovation date of the house. One of the more interesting structural features of Rich Hill is the manner in which the wall sills are seated on top of evenly spaced quarried stone blocks, a feature thought to be unique in Southern Maryland. In later years the area between the stone blocks was filled with coursed bricks.

      Significance: The historical significance of Rich Hill relates directly to its ownership by Col. Samuel Cox and the role Cox played in the flight of John Wilkes Booth through Charles County to Virginia following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, April 14, 1865. Samuel Cox, whose sympathy for the Southern cause was well known, hid Booth and his companion-in-crime, David Herold, on his Rich Hill farm after Booth and Herold were sent there upon being discovered in a nearby swamp by a neighbor's servant. Cox then proceeded to arrange for their safe (and secret) passage to Virginia. Booth and Herold remained hidden in a pine thicket at Rich Hill until April 21, when Thomas A. Jones, foster brother of Colonel Cox and a former Chief Signal Agent for the Confederacy, provided them with a small boat in which they crossed the Potomac River to Virginia. In the trials that followed Booth's eventual capture at Pope's Creek, Virginia, Cox and Jones were convicted of aiding Booth in his flight and sentenced to brief imprisonments--Jones six weeks, and Cox seven. Rich Hill is included in the "Booth Trail," defined by published tour guides and marked by state historical markers that locate all stops Booth made from his exit from Ford's Theatre to the barn and house of the Garrett Farm in Virginia where he was shot and killed by Union soldiers. Rich Hill also has great architectural significance. Although the present exterior and first floor appearance of Rich Hill reflects the period of Cox's ownership, its original early or mid-18th century skeleton and contemporary second floor treatment establish its architectural significance as well. The original floor plan was one characteristic of the Charles and St. Mary's County region throughout the 18th century. However, it is one of only two known and recorded houses with this plan that were initially built as two-story dwellings (the other being Marshall Hall). Important original elements that survive include the cut stone piers on which the house stands, the very handsome doors and hardware of the second floor, and the unique design of the second floor ceilings.
      ===
      Edward Fox 4.6 CH #3020 #3540 Mar 20 1676
      inventory and Accounts. Mentions crop at Mr. Archibald Waghob.
      Appraisers: Hugh Thomas, Philip Hoskins,
      List of debts: Archibald Waghob.
      ===
      John Jones (gentleman) 5.112 I SM #13086 May 12 1678
      Appraisers: Henry Phipps, Mr. Robert Grahame.
      List of debts: Marke Cordea, Robert Doyne, Capt, John Quigley, John Butcher, Edward Fiswick, John Fanning, Hugh Thomas, John Blackfan, John Rambleton, William Chandler, Zachariah Wade, George Godfrey, Thomas Harguest, Samuell Raspine, Jacob Lookerman, Miles Gibson, Pope Alvey, Marmaduke Semme, Job Corner (dead), Henry Henlye on Thomas Clipsham, Joseph Chew, Richard Beck, Edmond Dennis, William Faircloth (dead), Alexander Gallant, Maj. Rozer for Richard Ambrose, Margaret Downes (dead), Robert Toates, Elisabeth de la Roche note to Daniell Clocker, Mary Pope note upon Capt. Allen, Francis Kilborne, John Warren, Richard Sweatman.
      Executor: Kenelm Cheseldyne.
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court, Liber A; 6 Sep 1662, Page 241
      William Codwell demands warrant against John Wood; subpoena Mr. William Marshall, Hugh Thomas, John Small, Randall Cremer, Elisabeth Michell, John Michell Dager for Codwell; Elisabeth Dager for Wood
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court, Liber A; 1 Oct 1662, Page 246 - 247
      William Codwell, Plt., John Wood, Def.; Daniell Johnson, atty. for plaintiff petitions that Codwell hired John Wood to help with his crop for one month and afterwards John Wood left your petitioner at the height of his crop causing great loss and damage; John Wood frees William Codwell from all debts 10 Aug 1662; /s/ John Wood (mark); wit. John Small, Daniel Hacoun (mark) For confirmation of said petition, the following oats were given; William Marshall swore in open court that John Wood and William Codwell had difference; Mr. John Small swore that Codwell was to give Wood two empty hogsheads if he worked good for a month;

      Hewgh Thomas, age ca 24 years, swore same; Rendall Cramer swore he heard the two men discussing the bargain; John Waltom submitted letter of attorney for John Wood; dated 26 Sep 1662; /s/ John Wood (mark); wit. Walter Beane (mark); Francis Ferenia (mark); Elisabeth Dager swore that about the middle of August John Wood began to pick a quarrel with Margaret Codwell who called Wood a rogue and rascal; mentions John Wood's master; Defendant's atty. claimed he was sick and could not perform his bargain; court orders defendant to pay plaintiff 50# of tobacco and court costs
      ===
      4 May 1663 according to the warrant of the underwritten, verdict concerning a servant maid which was belonging to Mr. Francis Pope being drowned do find that servant came accidentally by her death; /s/ Edward Swan, constable, and coroner Hew Thomas; Peter Hipkis, Mr. William Marshall, Mr. John Cage, John Waltom, Richard Morris, Edward Philpot, Alexander Smith, Nicholaus Gros, Francis Wine, Francis Frenla and Samuell Dobson
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court, Liber B, 4 Nov 1663, Page 205 - 206
      Patent to John Clarke, Gent., due 600 acres of land for transporting of John Bright of Dandgren in 1654; Mary Shepard in 1647, Mary Joanes in 1650, Richard Smith in 1650, Roger bought of John Halfhead in 1646 and 100 more assigned him from Robert Greene, Esq. in 1656; a parcel of land on the main fresh at the head of the Wicokomeco River called Rich Hill in the Manor of Calverton; 14 Sep 1663; /s/ Charles Calvert
      endorsement on back: assignment to Nicholaus Grose and Hewgh Thomas; 13 Oct 1663; /s/ John Clarke; wit. George Thompson, Henry Addames
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court Liber D, Page 14
      26 Apr 1668; Conveyance from Hugh Thomas, planter, to Thomas Lomax, merchant of St. Mary's Co.; for 3,500# of tobacco; half of a 600 acre parcel of land on the west side of the main fresh of Wicomico River call Rich Hill; patent granted Thomas 19 Apr 1666; /s/ Hugh Thomas (mark); wit. Rich. Mortice (mark), Tho. Hopper (mark)
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court Liber F, Page 18
      25 Oct 1673; Division of land between Hugh Thomas and Thomas Lomax; a parcel at the head of Wicomico River; south end to Hugh Thomas and the north end to Thomas Lomax; Thomas to pay Lomax 1,700# of tobacco; a parcel of Thomas' land leased to Meverell Hulse and a parcel of Lomax's part leased to Josh Posey; /s/ William Barton, John Contee, Alexander Smith (mark), John Posey (mark)
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court Liber F, Page 181
      30 Dec 1669; Indenture from Thomas Lomax, merchant, to Meverell Hulse, planter; for 2,000# tobacco; a parcel of land on the west side of Wicomico River; part of a tract of 600 acres belonging to Thomas Lomax and Hugh Thomas; containing 100 acres; /s/ Thomas Lomax; wit. Clibome Lomax, Edward Wilder, Edward
      ===
      Charles County Circuit Court Liber L, Page 53
      10 Nov 1684; Indenture from Hugh Thomas to Jno. Harrison of St. Mary's Co.; for 13,000# tobacco; a tract called Rich Hill containing _00 acres; also a parcel called Thomases Additions containing 83 acres; bounded by Rich Hall; /s/ Hugh Thomas, Jno. Harrison; wit. Wm. Barton, Henry Hawkins
      ===
      Charles County Land Records, Liber C#2 Page 245
      3 Mar 1710; Indenture from Ralph Lomax, planter, and Margaret his wife to Mary Contee, widow; for 20,000# tobacco; a parcel of land in the tenure of Ralph Lomax containing 300 acres; part of tract called RICH HILLS containing 600 acres; formerly granted 19 Apr in the 34th year of his dominion to Hugh Thomas, dec'd; conveyed to Thomas Lomax, dec'd; /s/ Ralph Lomax (mark), Margtt. Lomax (mark); wit. Da. Dullany, John Bleen, ]no. Mellor; 16 Jun 1711 Margaret Lomax, wife of Ralph Lomax, ack. deed by her attorney; 3 Mar 1710; above 20,000# tobacco paid; /s/ Ralph Lomax (mark); wit. Same
      ===
      Charles County Maryland Circuit Court Records, Liber H#2, Page 55
      8 Jun 1717; Recorded at request of Charles Bym:
      21 Jan 1716; Indenture from John Coffer, Sr., planter, to Charles Byrn; for one gray gelding and 500# tobacco; a parcel of land called Fortune near Zachia Swamp originally taken up for Hugh Thomas, dec'd; bounded by land surveyed for Henry Bonner and land of Alexander Smith; laid out for 100 acres; /s/ John Coffer (mark); wit. Thomas Stone, Chandler Howk; 21 Jan 1716 John Coffer, Jr. ack. Deed
      ===
      Charles County Liber L#2 Page 217.
      At the request of Mary Smallwood, widow, the following deed was recorded this May 21, 1725.
      Mar 16, 1724 from John Coffer of CC, planter, son & heir of Eliza Coffer, daughter & one of the co-heirs of Hugh Thomas, late of CC, deced, to Mary Smallwood of CC, widow, executrix of the will of James Smallwood, late of CC, deced, for 3000 lbs of tobacco and for divers other good causes, John Coffer conveys to Mary Smallwood, for the use of sd Mary & the devisees of the sd James Smallwood, according to the intent of the will of James Smallwood, 100 acres of land, being part of a tract of land called Friendship, lying on Mattawoman main fresh [Cr] in CC. Signed - Jno (IC his mark) Coffer Jr. Wit - Thos Stone*, Geo Dent*.
      ===
      Charles County Land Records, 1733-1743; Liber O#2, Page 439.
      Recorded Apr 12, 1742. Mar 27, 1742 from Mary Smallwood of CC, widow, to John Smallwood, William Smallwood, Matthew Smallwood, and James Smallwood Jr of CC, planters, for 10,000 lbs tobacco and for other good causes, all that part of a tract of land, being part of a tract of land called Friendship, lying on the south side of Mattawoman fresh in CC, which part is bounded by the beginning tree of sd tract called Friendship as it was settled by the Land Commission for CC, containing about 333 acres. Also 100 acres more, being part of 200 acres of sd tract called Friendship formerly belonging to Hugh Thomas, bounded according to the division made between sd Mary Smallwood, John Smallwood, Charles Byrn & Margery, his wife, dated Jan 5, 1725 [/6] , which line is bounded by the ENE line of William Hoskins' part of Friendship, the Side Piney Branch. John, William, and James Smallwood's parts of the land are to contain about 100 acres.each. Matthew Smallwood's part is to contain about 33 acres, and also 100 acres more, the moiety of 200 acres formerly belonging to Hugh Thomas, as above mentioned. Signed-Mary (M her mark) Smallwood. Wit-Robt Hanson*, S: Hanson*.
      ===
      Charles County Land Record Book S#3, 1770-1775; Page 187. Aug 14, 1771 from Bean (Beane) Smallwood of CC, planter, to Philip Thomas of CC, planter, for 161 £8 shillings and 5 pence, part of a tract of land in CC called Friendship, containing about 33 acres, and also 100 acres more, the moiety of 200 acres formerly belonging to Hugh Thomas. Signed - Bayne Smallwood. Wit - Saml Hanson*, George Dent*. Mary, the wife of Bean Smallwood, acknowledged this deed. Recorded Aug 14, 1771.
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County MD Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 308-46: FRIENDSHIP: 50 acres; Possession of - 50 Acres - Hoskins, Philip Col: : Surveyed 6 June 1671 for Robert Casselton and Garrett Sinnett at a bound oak in the line of the land called COFFERS CHANCE: Other Tracts Mentioned: COFFERS CHANCE; HARWOOD; MUCH HADDUM; Conveyance notes - Resurveyed into HARWOOD, 8 Aug 1726; folio 417,
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County MD Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 313-81: FRIENDSHIP: 2000 acres; Possession of - 954 Acres - Dent, Thomas : 1046 Acres - Hoskins, Bennett: Surveyed 13 June 1672 for Bennett Hoskins at a branch beech by a fresh run called Mattawoman main fresh running down the run. Poss. by Thomas Dent & 1046 acres Bennett Hoskins in England: Other Tracts Mentioned: COFFERS CHANCE; HARWOOD; MUCH HADDUM; Conveyance notes - 100 Acres - John Coffer; 16 March 1724, 333 Acres - Mary Smallwood from William Hoskins; 12 Aug 1725,,
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County, Maryland Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 327-178: THOMAS ADDITION: 83 acres; Possession of - 83 Acres - Contee, John Col: Surveyed 13 July 1674 for Hugh Thomas at a bound pockhiccory a bound tree of the land called RICH HILL binding upon the said land.: Other Tracts Mentioned: RICH HILL;Conveyance notes - Alexander Smith Hawkins from Charles Courts; 25 Sept 1727, ,
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County, Maryland Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 329-192: RICH HILL: 600 acres; Possession of - 300 Acres - Contee, John Col: 300 Acres - Lomax, Ralph: Surveyed (when the record sayth not) patent 19 April 1666 in the name of Hugh Thomas lying on the West side of the main fresh run at the head of Wicomico River at a bound oak by the run side.: Conveyance notes - 300 Acres - Mary Contee from Ralph Lomax; 3 March 1710, 300 Acres - Gustavus Brown from Philemon Hemsley; 2 Nov 1714,Alexander Smith Hawkins from Charles Courts; 25 Sept 1727,
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County, Maryland Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 330-200: NONESUCH: 50 acres; Possession of - 50 Acres - Thomas, John: : Surveyed 7 April 1670 beginning a bound White Oak of John Coates ---Joseph Horton is present (sold to Hugh Thomas 1684 poss by John Thomas son of Hugh Thomas): Other Tracts Mentioned: BYRNS DISCOVERY ; Conveyance notes - Included in Resurvey of BYRNS DISCOVERY escheat, folio 436,
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County, Maryland Hundred - Piccawaxen or Wm&Mary: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 436-419: BYRNES DISCOVERY: 42 acres; Possession of - 42 Acres - Byrne, Charles : ESCHEAT land, Originally called NONESUCH, Re-surveyed, 14 Jan 1739 for Charles Byrne: Other Tracts Mentioned: NONESUCH; ; ; {mm Note; not identified to a specific Hundred. Location identified by watercourse or nearby tract.},
      ===
      1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County, Maryland Hundred - Port Tobacco: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 333-220: HIS LORDSHIPS FAVOUR: 1000 acres; Possession of - 500 Acres - Beale, John: 500 Acres - Hawkins, Henry: Surveyed 2 July 1699 for Hugh Thomas beginning a bound Red Oak the corner tree of Mr. Notley Rozers land. Poss 500a John Beale, 500a Henry Hawkins who married the daughter of William Middleton.:

      Conveyance notes:
      - Richard Beale from John Beale; 30 Oct 1724 300 Acres
      - William Middleton from Richard Beale; 25 Dec 1724, 200 Acres
      - John Ebsworthy from Richard Beale; 14 Aug 1727 140 Acres
      - John Ebsworthy from Richard Beale; 30 Sept 1728, 200 Acres
      - William Middleton from James Keech; 9 July 1730 267 Acres
      - Henry Holland Hawkins from William Middleton; 15 Nov 1732, 349 Acres
      - Thomas & James Ebsworthy to William & James Middleton; 12 March 1734 (mm note; the record reads "from" and "to" is written above it. There is additional writing in a different hand annotating Charles County Liber 2, 97, 247. Difficult to read), 450 Acres
      - Allen Davis from William Middleton; 24 June 1738, 43 Acres
      - John Pigeon From William Middleton; 9 Aug 1738, 450 Acres
      - Joseph Lemaster from William Middleton; 9 Aug 1738

Research Links  Find Hugh Thomas at the following sites -

Ancestry records for Hugh Thomas